Situated in the north-western Campidano plain, in a territory with lagoons of great environmental interest, the little town is along the banks of the Stagno di Cabras. The coastline can offer many kms of beaches, all included in the Marine Reserve "Sinis Maldiventre", with a typically rice-sized, white sand.
- Altitude: 6 m a.s.l
- Population: about 9000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 09072
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0783
- Patron Saint: Santa Maria, celebrated on 24th May
- Frazioni & Localities: Funtana Meiga, Il Catalano, Isola Mal di Ventre, San Giovanni di Sinis, San Salvatore, Solanas, Su Cungiau de Gerrusso, Porto Suedda
Follow us on Facebook
History - Antiquity
Originally the population were along the coast, then moved more in the hinterland when after the fall of the Roman Empire, pirate attacks were more frequent. In the 11th century there was a Villa called Masones de Capras (house of goats) possibly an ancient settlement of shepherds, and the goat is included in the coatofarms, together with the muggine (striped bass) called also the "gold of Cabras" for its abundance. At that time it was under the Judges of Arborea, who established a fortress in the Castello di Cabras. In the 13th century Benedictine and Camaldolenses monks obtained fishing rights in the ponds Mar'e Pontis and Mistras, and fish was largely exported throughout the Middle Ages.
History - Modern Times
In 1479 the territory came under the control of the Aragonese monarchy, and after that followed the destiny of Sardinia, and in 1720 was included in the Piedmon Kingdom under the Savoy. Since time immemorial the economy was based on goat rearing, fishing, and cultivation of olive trees, vineyards and almond trees. In 1983 fishing in the ponds came under the control of the Region, which entrust the activity to cooperatives of local fishermen.
What to see
- At least 2 dozens ancient Nuraghi all over the territory.
- The neolitic necropolis at Cuccuru S'arriu, in the center of the Cabras Pond;
- The ancient Phoenician settlement of Tharros, built on a previous Nuragic village, which was in later centuries a port of the Etruscans and the Romans after them.
- The church of San Salvatore, built on a former temple dedicated to Mars and Venus of the 3rd century AD, where the cult of springwater was practised and later replaced with the Christian saint.
- The Stagno di Cabras, one of the largest lagoons in Europe with a surface area of 20 sq km; located, as well as the marshes of Mistas and Mar'e Pontis, Mar'e Pauli and the WWF protected oasis of Pauli'e Sali, where the last individuals of the endangered species of Pollo Sultano can still be found; there are also large numbers of pink flamingos.
- The Sinis peninsula, with many endemic animal and plant species, such as turtles, hares, boars.