Baratili San Pietro, Sardegna
The small center, situated around the Cabras Pond, can still offer a glimpse into century-old lifestyles and traditions.
- Population: about 1200 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 09070
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0783
- Patron Saint: San Pietro, celebrated on 29 June
Follow us on Facebook
In pre-historic times, according to archeological findings, there were human settlements, and the population lived on fishing in the pond and in the sea. The name appears in a document of the 1157 century as Oiratili, a place donated from Barisone to his daughter for her marriage. In 1477 the area passed under the Aragonese monarchy, then under the Spaniards and in mid-18th century was included in the Piedmontese kingdom of Sardinia.
- The Carnival, called Carnevale Baratilese, an occasion of great celebrations all over the town, with typical Sardinina dances called "su ballu tundu" to accordion sound, with an impressive pantomime-dance on the last day of Carnival, called "su ballu de sa Zappitta".
- On the first Sunday in August, the "Sagra della Vernaccia", the vernaccia being the typical wine produced in Baratili.