Orosei, Province of Nuoro, Sardegna
Situated in the middle of the eastern Sardinian coast, the town can be easily reached from Olbia through the state road S.S.125 and from Nuoro through the S.S.129. The territory includes within a few miles sea and mountain, rivers, lakes and plain, which together with the favourable climate - mild in winter, and breezy in summer - has turned this area into a favorite destination for Italian and European tourists.
- Population: about 6,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 08028
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0784
- Patron Saint: San Giacomo Apostolo, celebrated on 27 July
- Frazioni & Localities: Sos Alinos
Follow us on Facebook
In the Middle Ages it was included in the Giudicato di Gallura, then became the main center of the Galtellì Barony.
What to see
- The Santuario del Rimedio, a countryside church surrounded by almost 100 one-room small houses called cumbessias for religious meditation.
- The Church of Santa Maria del Mare, built in the 12th century by merchants coming from Pisa.
- The long, highly varied coastline, extending for over 18 Km, and including granite sands between Osalla and Santa Maria, the mouth of the Cedrino river, the small beach at Foche Pizzinna, the cala of Fuile 'e Mare with very fine sand, the beach of SasLinnas Siccas, just below high basalt cliffs, then the beaches hidden among pinetrees of Cala Liberotto, Porto Corallo, Cala Ginepro, Sa Curcuricae Biderrosa.
- The two Domus de Jana at Conca Ruia, grottos in a vertical rock of Mount Tuttavista.
- The Nuragic settlement of Sa Linnarta, the most important in the area, formed of many nuraghi near the sea.
- The Holy week rites consisting of three processions called sos sepurcros, su brossolu, s'incontru, held on the Thursday, Friday and on Easter morning respectively.
- 15 May, celebrations for Sant'Isidoro, with a procession of righly decorated waggons drawn by oxen.