Bari Sardo, Province of Nuoro, Sardegna
- Altitude: 51 m a.s.l
- Population: about 3,900 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 08042
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0782
- Patron Saint: Beata Vergine del Monserrato, celebrated on 8th September
- Frazioni & Localities: Torre di Barì, Sa Marina
The prenuragic and nuragic period is documented by many prehistorical monuments: menhirs, domus de janas, and the giants tombs called nuraghi. Many signs of the Roman time are visible in the area of Girasole (the ancient "Solki"), 13 km far from the town. In 1479 it became part of the Spanish Kingdom and during those years Philip II built a parish tower on the cliffs. In 1715 the Savoy family took over, bringing along however many problems as bad government and high taxes, which added to the endemic malaria disease that was already afflicting the area.
What to see
- The Parish church with a fine, huge bell-tower of the 17th century and a baroque altar inside.
- The church of San Leonardo, built in the 16th century in the oldest part of the city, and probably used also as a refuge at the time of the plague.
- The Spanish Tower, 11.70m high, built to protect the island from pirate attacks, which traditionally divides the coastline into a "beach for males" and a "beach for females".
- The church of Santa Cecilia, restored in the 1970's.
- The "Sagra dei Nenniris", celebrated in the second week of July, in the "sa Marina" village.