Porto Cesareo, Province of Lecce, Puglia
- Altitude: 3 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 73010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0833
- Patron Saint: Beata Vergine Maria del Perpetuo Soccorso and Santa Cesarea, celebrated on 23 August
From the 15th century it was under the lordship of the Orsini del Balzo, then passed to the Acquaviva, and it became a busy trade center of grain and oil. To protect the coast from pirates and invaders, a Tower was built, which is one of the most beautiful of all the towers of the Salento coast on the Ionian Sea. In the 18th century a tuna plant was established, which gave work to the fishermen of the place. At the time the fiefdom was acquired by the Muci family, who maintained an important economic leadership also after the abolition of the feudal privileges in 1806.
What to see
- The Tower of Porto Cesareo
- The Tower of Torre Lapillo
- Two important natural reserves, the "Palude del conte e duna costiera - Porto Cesareo" and the regional park "Porto Selvaggio e Palude del Capitano"
- The Museo Talassografico, in the center of the town hosting a collection of Mediterranean marine fauna.