San Giovanni Rotondo, Province of Foggia, Puglia
- Altitude: 565 m a.s.l
- Population: about 26,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 71013
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0882
- Patron Saint: St. Giovanni Battista, celebrated on 24 June
- Frazioni & Localities: San Salvatore
The recent history of the place is almost identified with the life and miracles of Francesco Forgione (May 25, 1887 - September 23, 1968), canonized Saint Pio of Pietrelcina, who joined the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin and was popularly known as Padre Pio, and lived in San Giovanni from 1916 to his death. He had the stigmata for many years, and when it bled, the blood smelled of perfume or flowers. He acquired fame as a miracle worker and clairvoyant. On June 16th 2002 Pope John Paul II proclaimed Padre Pio as "Sanctus Pius a Pietrelcina".
What to see
- The Padre Pio Pilgrimage Church built on a project by Genoan architect Renzo Piano, it can accommodate 6,500 people seated, and 30,000 people more outside.