Apricena, Province of Foggia, Puglia
Apricena is 42 km from Foggia, between the Tavoliere plateau and the Gargano promontory,in a plain cultivated with olive trees, cereals and vineyards. The economy relies also on quarries of the local stone, called Apricena Stone, which is exported in many areas of the world. This stone was used for the new sanctuary of San Pio da Pietrelcina in San Giovanni Rotondo.
- Altitude: mt 75 a.s.l
- Population: about 13,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 71011
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0882
- Patron Saint: Madonna dell'Incoronata, celebrated on last Sunday in May
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The Monastery of San Giovanni in Piano, where in 1296 the 80-year-old Pope Celestine V, later canonized as San Pietro Celestino, took refuge after renouncing his papacy, hoping to take sail to Greece, before he was captured by the army of the new Pope Boniface VIII.
- The Torriolo, the palace of the barons of the place.
- The Parish church of saints Martino and Lucia.
Events and Festivities
- April and May, celebrations for the Madonna dell'Incoronata. On the last Saturday in April the statue of the Crowned Virgin, is carried from the sanctuary outside the town to the parish church. Then the festivity takes place in the last weekend in May, with a procession on Sunday morning, and the statue on the last Monday in May is carried back to its sanctuary.