Putignano, Province of Bari, Puglia
Situated among the Murge Hills, has a beautiful historical center, and ancient traditions as the Carnival, which starts with a performances alredy on 26th december, proceeding with representations in costume every Thursday, with the funeral of the Carnival puppet burned on a fire. The emblem of the commune is a Samnite shield with 3 green mountains at bottom, surmounted by two 6-pointed stars
- Altitude: 372 a.s.l
- Population: about 28,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 70017
- Dialing Area Code: +39 080
- Patron Saint: Santo Stefano, celebrated on 26 December
- Frazioni & Localities: San Pietro Piturno.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The church of San Pietro built in the Romanesque - Gothic style in the 12th century, hosting statues by Stefano from Putignano;
- The Putignano grotto, 1 km to the north-west, a fine Karst cavity 27 mt deep, with pink alabaster formations;
- 7km to the south, on a crest in the Murge Hills, in the hamlet of Noci, the fine parish church and the sanctuary of Santa Maria della Croce.