Domodossola, Province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Piedmont
- Altitude: 272 m a.s.l
- Surface area: 36,89 sq km
- Population: about 18,000 inhabitants in 2017
- Population Density: inhabitants per sq km
- Zip/postal code: 28845
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0324
- Patron Saint: Saints Gervasio and Protasio, celebrated on 19 June
- GPS Coordinates: 46°06'N 8°18'E
Provinces of Piedmont
During the Second World War Domodossola was part of an uprising against the Germans, whereby the valley of Ossola declared itself a republic and broke away from Facist Italy. The rebellion was crushed by German troops within a few months, but was an important symbol for anti-fascist movements within Italy until the end of the war.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Maggiore, built around the 9th century AD, an early Longobard-style temple, completely renovated in 1700. The church contains frescoes by Lorenzo Peretti from Buttogno and Giuseppe Mattia Borgnis from Craveggia, a precious Renaissance marble tabernacle sculpted by Lorenzo Arrigoni from Pavia.
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Domodossola.