Cannobio, Province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Piedmont
The town enjoys a wonderful position overlooking lake Maggiore. The newer part is enchanting, with its cobbled streets and long rows of stone houses on the lake front, with small balconies closed by wrought-iron rails. Narrow alleys and flight of steps rise up to the ancient citadel. The river Cannobino separates Cannobio from its frazione Traffiume, and part of the territory borders Switzerland.
- Altitude: 214 m a.s.l
- Surface area: 51 sq km
- Population: about 5,000 inhabitants
- Population Density: 100 inhabitants per sq km
- Zip/postal code: 28822
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0323
- Patron Saint: SS Pietà, celebrated on 8th January and San Vittore, celebrated on 8th May
- GPS Coordinates: 46°4'N 8°42'E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
The Comune includes the following Frazioni & Localities: Campeglio, Carmine Inferiore, Carmine Superiore, Cinzago, Formine, Marchille, Piaggio Valmara, Pianoni, Ronco, San Bartolomeo Valmara, Sant'Agata, Socraggio, Socragno, Traffiume.
The town existed already before the year 1000, but at the time most of the population lived in the higher part of the settlement. Only in more recent times the population started to settle also in the area along the banks of Lake Maggiore, also thanks to the tourist developments.
What to see
- The 13th-century bell tower
- The 18th-century Palazzo Mandamentale, the seat of the ancient local government.
- The Santuario della Pietà by the lakeside, commemorating a miracle of 1522, when a painting of the Virgin Mary was seen to bleed. The painting was moved to another church, and a "Sacra Costa", representing the painting, is brought along the streets in a procession on the 7 January.
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Cannobio.