San Didero, Province of Torino, Piedmont
A small town on the northern side of the lower valley of Susa, located to the left of the Dora Riparia, San Didero is a quiet farming village. The main crops are cereals in the plain and, on the mountain slopes, the vine.
- Altitude: 430 m a.s.l
- Population: about 500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 10050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 011
- Patron Saint: St. Desiderio
- Frazioni & Localities: Leitera, Volpi.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
The village is named after the patron saint and is mentioned for the first time in a document of 1065 among the properties placed under the jurisdiction of the parish of Oulx. As other towns of the middle Susa valley, San Didero was under the Bertrandi, then the Roero and the Grosso families.
What to see
- Casaforte di San Didero, a fortress in the village center, with massive square tower whose battlements still dominate the underlying roofs; the tower was divided into several levels of scaffolding, with steps inside connecting the different floors.
- The parish church of San Didero, halfway up the ridge that separates this valley and the Val di Viù; dedicated to St. Desiderius, probably dates from the late Romanesque period (14th century); it was almost entirely rebuilt in the eighteenth century, and only the walls and mullioned windows still maintain the original features.