Lugnacco, Province of Torino, Piedmont
The small town is located in Val Chiusella, in the valley of Chy, a rich natural environment of grassland, woodland and terraced vineyards sloping towards Loranzè.
- Population: about 300 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 10080
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0125
- Frazioni & Localities: Buracco, Chiartano, Raghetto, Verna
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
What to see
- The parish church of the Purification of the Virgin Mary, the main historical evidence of the settlement, located a short distance from the town, almost an outpost in the direction of Vistrorio. It is the oldest place of worship in Val Chiusella, probably built on the ruins of a pagan temple. The stone bell tower, protrudes from the facade and includes a narrow portal that gives access to the church, dating to the 11th century.
- The Lugnacco Menhir, a gneiss monolith (3.85 meters long, with a base circumference of 1.20 meters and a weight of about 1.8 tons) marked by regular longitudinal grooves, probably connected to fertility rites. It was recently placed in the ground in front of the cemetery, probably its original location. The menhir, dating back at least to the Bronze Age, confirms the presence of a pre-existing pagan cult in the area.