Lemie, Province of Torino, Piedmont
Lemie is a quiet and pleasant resort, located in the great green valley full of beech, chestnut and pinetrees in the the Viù basin, the southernmost Lanzo valley. It is situated on a spur over the river Stura, at the mouth of the valley of Rio d'Ovarda where a picturesque waterfall called Monte is created.
Lemie is a mainly agricultural center, producing cereals as barley, oats, wheat and rye, and with a remarkable dairy production thanks to the rich pastures where cattle and sheep are raised.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
- Altitude: 960 m a.s.l
- Surface area: 45 sq km
- Population: about 200 inhabitants
- Population Density: 5 inhabitants per sq km
- Zip/postal code: 10070
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0123
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on
- Frazioni & Localities: Borgial, Borgialetto, Chiampetto, Chiandusseglio, Fontana, Forno, Gaiera, Inversigni, Molar, Saletta, Sant'Antonio, Vallorsera, Villa, Villaretti
- GPS Coordinates: 45°14'N 7°18'E
Lemie has very remote but also uncertain origins: the name probably derives from the Latin Lamia, that is place of witches and fairies, or by Limina, namely place where boundaries are situated.
The old village was in the meadows called Casali and was destroyed by a flood in August 1465. The Baratonia Viscounts had feudal jurisdiction over Lemie and other countries of the valley, then they were followed by the Provana family from Leinì.
What to see
- On the highest point rises the Parish of St. Michael the Archangel. Rebuilt between 1689 and 1701 on the old Gothic building, the church is decorated with fine frescoes by Fino of Viù, who also made the painting over the main altar. Opposite the church is the Oratory of Jesus, built in 1546, with frescos representing moments from the life of Jesus and the Virgin.
- On the Colombardo mountain at 1898 meters is the ancient sanctuary of the Madonna of the Angels, founded by Benedictine Giambattista Giorgis.
- Beyond the stream Ovarda and the hamlet of Chiandusseglio is the Chapel of the Olmetti with a characteristic portico, erected in 1721 on the site of a pre-existing tower.
- Near the Chapel of Olmetti there is a large monolith produced by landslides from the surrounding hills.
- At Forno there is an ancient stone bridge of 1477, with a kiosk in the center.
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Lemie.