Lanzo Torinese, Province of Torino, Piedmont
The town rises a little distance from where the Stura di Viù joins the Stura river that forms near Ceres and flows into the Po north of Turin, taking then the name of Stura di Lauro, where the three Lanzo valleys join, about 30km northwest of Turin.
- Altitude: 515 m a.s.l
- Surface area: 10,37 sq km
- Population: about 5,000 inhabitants
- Population Density: 519 inhabitants per sq km
- Zip/postal code: 10074
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0123
- Patron Saint: St. Pietro in Vincoli, celebrated on 1st August
- Frazioni & Localities: Brecco, Colombaro, Fua, Grange, Margaula, Momell, Oviglia, Ovairoo, Praile
- GPS Coordinates: 45°16'N 7°29'E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
The town rose in the Middle Ages, and war a fiefdom of the Susa marquisdom, then came under the Monferrato, and in the early 10th century was included in the Savoy possessions.
What to see
- The medieval borough with the ancient Townhall Tower, and at top the parish church of San Pietro in Vincoli, with a fine painting of St. Francis receiving the stigmata by Carcle Saraceni (1605).
- Below mount Buriasco, on whose top the town rises, the Ponte del Diavolo (devil's Bridge) built to join the two banks of the Stura in 1377, made of one arch 37m long and 23 high.
- 6 km from Lanzo, at 350 m a.s.l. the panoramic Sanctuary of Sant'Ignazio, built on the rock on a previous chapel, on a project by Antonio Vittone (1725)
- The Santuario di Loreto, built in 1618 on the model of the Holy House of Loreto in Marche, in just three months by the citizens of Lanzo. Margaret of Savoy laid the foundation stone of the colonnade surrounding the church and at her own expense placed in the chapel a wooden statue of the Black Virgin. Next to the shrine there is a medieval building tower, once home of the Hermit guardian of the church.
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Lanzo Torinese.