Castagneto Po, Province of Torino, Piedmont
Situated at 26 km from Turin, along the right bank of the Po river, in the fine natural landscape of hills and forests rich of wildlife of the natural reserve Bosco del Vaj, this small center is a favorite starting point for nature lovers and a wonderful refuge from the frantic city life.
- Population: about 1,400 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 10090
- Dialing Area Code: +39 011
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
Castagneto appears in documents of the 10th century AD, when it was under the control of the Fruttuaria monastery, then in later centuries came under the control of the Savoy Dukes and became one of their favorite hunting territories.
What to see
- In the vicinity, the Candia Lake, 2,2 km long and 0,9 wide, surrounded by woods, with a fine lakefront riviera.
- The Castle, rebuilt over an ancient medieval fortress in 1835 on a project by architect Nicolis di Robilant, surrounded by a fine English-style garden.
- The very small village of San Genesio, situated among the forests of the Bosco del Vaj, a natural reservoir, not far from Chivasso, with its fine Romanesque church dating back from the early centuries of the Christian era.