Savigliano, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont
It is situated along the right bank of the Maira stream, 33 km north-east of Cuneo, 64 km south of Turin and 75 km from the Ligurian Riviera, and is the seat of an important railway construction industry.
- Altitude: 321 m a.s.l
- Population: about 20mila inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12038
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0172
- Patron Saint: St. sebastiano, celebrated on 20 january
- Frazioni & Localities: Apparizione, Canavere, Levaldigi, San Giacomo, Sanità, San Salvatore, Santa Rosalia, Solere, Solerette, Suniglia, Tetti Vigna
- GPS Coordinates: 44° 64' N 7° 65' E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
Originally inhabited by Ligurian tribes of Celtic stock, it was a fortified camp under the Romans, as shown by archeological findings, with the name of Salvianum. During the Middle Ages, as most Piedmontese towns, it was a free commune, and was later disputed between the Saluzzo and Savoy families. Since 1470 a thriving printing trade was established, and in the course of the 16th century the original military architectures were demolished and replaced with elegant baroque mansions.
What to see
- The benedictine abbey of San Pietro
- The parish church of Sant'Andrea, hosting the sepulchre of princess Isabel of Savoy
- The Palace of the Cravetta Counts
- The fine church of Santa Maria della Pieve.
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Savigliano.