Rocca de' Baldi, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont
Situated 19km north-east of Cuneo and 80 km south of Turin, the commune consists of a number of small hamlets, the main centre being Crava, rising on a gentle slope north of the Pesio stream.
- Altitude: 414 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12047
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0174
- Patron Saint: San Magno, celebrated on the 3rd sunday in August
- Frazioni & Località:Carleveri, Crava, Rocca de' Baldi, Corvi, Foresta, Fornace, Gandolfa, Lime, Pasquero, Rolandone, Scalagrano
- GPS Coordinates: 44°26' N 7°45' E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
A fortress existed on the site in the late 12th century, and because of its strategic position it was disputed in the course of the centuries among a number of families, among them the Monferrato, Visconti, Acaya and Savoy. In the 16th century it was occupied by the Spaniards, who destroyed in repression a large part of the settlement, including the castle. During the 16th century Marquis Gaspare Morozzo reconstructed the borough and castle.
What to see
- The Castle, hosting an ethnographic Museum and historical centre.
- The church of Sant'Antonio.
- The Natural Oasis Crava and Morozzo.