Govone, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont
Fine medieval borough near the Langhe Hills, situated in a strategic position over the Tanaro valley, halfway between Asti and Alba, the village is famous for its castle, where in 1730 Jean-Jacques Rousseau resided for a time, and for a fine flower festival in spring. The surrounding landscape is mostly covered with vineyards, fruit trees and small woods, and offers pleasant itineraries into the countryside.
- Altitude: 300 m a.s.l
- Population: about 2000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0173
- Patron Saint: San Giovanni Decollato, celebrated on 28 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Craviano.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Piedmont
Thanks to its position at the crossroads of trade routes since Roman times, Govone always had a strategic importance for the rulers of southern Piedmont. In the 10th century AD it was a fiefdom of the Solaro family of Asti until 1792, when it became a Savoy possession after the male Solaro line became extinct.
What to see
- The Royal Castle of Carlo Felice Savoy, a medieval fortress renovated during the 18th century into a stately mansion, one of the hunting residences of the royal family, it is today municipal property, and is still surrounded by wonderful Italian gardens; since 1997 it has been included among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The southern facade was designed by Guarino Guarini while the northern facade was based on a project by Benedetto Alfieri.
- The parish church of San Secondo, originally built on a rocky crest near the castle in the 11th century, but renovated in the late 14th century. The interior is divided into 3 naves, with a 5-sided Gothic apse with five stained-glass windows each representing a saint: St. Secondo, St. Rocco, St. Michael, St. Sebastian, St. Defendente. Above the entrance is a majestic Baroque organ made by the Collino school in 1869.
Events and Festivities
- Late March - early April, Tulipani a Corte, a spring event to celebrate the splendid blossoming of wild tulips in the ancient park of Castel Govone. The days of the colourful blossoming of the flaming-red tulips against a natural palette of all shades of green, azure periwinkles and blue spikes, accompanied by medieval parades and music, escorted visit to the castle and the town, art exhibitions and entertainment also for children, accompanied by tasting of local food and wines.