Portacomaro, Province of Asti, Region Piemonte

Located in the lower Monferrato, an area of famous wines, Portacomaro is an agricultural village, dedicated to grape growing, wine making (among its products is the famous Grignolino) and cattle breeding. Also hazelnuts are appreciated for their high quality. A small hamlet in the vicinity, Bricco Marmorito di Portacomaro Stazione, was the place of origin of the ancestors of Jorge Mario Barboglio, elected Pope Francis on 13 March 2013.


  • Altitude: 232 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 2000 inhabitants in 2010
  • Zip/postal code: 14037
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0141
  • Patron Saint: St. Bartolomeo apostolo, celebrated on 24 August
  • Frazioni: Migliandolo.

History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages

According to an ancient legend, the place was founded by the Gens Comara (or Comaria), a Roman family of noble origins, as a military camp in the land of Gaul. Around the year 1000 AD Lombard settlements are recorded at Curtis Commarii. The earliest record where Portacomaro is mentioned is, however, a transfer of property between deacon Abelard and notary Litone, dated 927 AD. In 1054 the first mention of vineyards appears in the area of Portacomaro, and, according to legend, the place was elected by Frederick Barbarossa as his headquarters during the siege of Asti.

On October 20, 1387 all heads of families were invited on the square of the oven to solemnly swear allegiance to the House of Orleans, as the village had been brought as a dowry by Valentina Visconti to Louis de Beaumont, Duke of Orleans, son of the King of France Charles V. In 1414 Portacomaro was attacked and plundered by mercenaries and destroyed; the population took refuge in Asti, and returned with soldiers to reconquer their village.

History - Modern Times

In the Gallery of Maps at the Vatican Museums is a fresco of "Pedemontium et Monsferratus", where the name "P.Come" appears and the village is portrayed as fortified by walls with a central arched doorway with two towers to its side, houses and three towers. In the 16th century the Coardi Counts, ancient family of Spanish origin, were lords of Portacomaro; then the place passed to Count G.B.Bogino, a minister of the House of Savoy.

In 1837, by decision of Carlo Alberto, King of Sardinia, Portacomaro merged with the municipality of Migliandolo. A period of prosperity followed with the cultivation of vineyards, and roads and a railway made communications easier.

What to see

    Portacomaro, Church of San Pietro
  • The Romanesque church of San Pietro of 1130
  • The Ricetto, dating from the 10th-11th century, fortified borough enclosed by walls to protect homes, warehouses, barns and the most important buildings
  • The parish church of San Bartolomeo, built in the 18th century on the site of an earlier church of the 14th century, contains a side altar of the Rosary of about 1654, coming from the church demolished in 1699.
  • The Chiesa dei Battuti (Flagellants), the traditional seat of the homonymous confraternity, preserves a beautiful altar of 1770 in painted stuccos.

Useful Links

  • http://www.comune.portacomaro.at.it/
  • http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portacomaro
ItalyHeritage on Facebook
Family History
Genealogy ResearchNeed help in your research?
Contact us with details and priorities.
Provinces of Piedmont
Piemonte region
Surnames in the Provinces of Piedmont