Vastogirardi, Province of Isernia, Molise
Near the springs of the Trigno river, was certainly inhabited already at the time of the Samnites, since not far from the center there are remains of walls and a sacred area going back to some centuries before Christ.
- Altitude: 1200 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 680 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86089
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola
- Frazioni & Localities: Cerreto, Villa San Michele.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
How to reach it
- Autostrada A1 Roma-Napoli, exit San Vittore or Caianello.
- A25 exit Pratola Peligna then towards Roccaraso
- A14 exit Vasto Sud, then State Road Trignina, exit Pescolanciano.
The territory is rich of pastures and for this reason was always used by shepherds and cattle breeders since very remote times. As a matter of fact, along the tratturo "Celano-Foggia", crossing the area of Vastogirardi, there are still many stone constructions in the typical tholos form used as shelters by shepherds.
Under the Lombards and later the Normans, the castle became the center of the village life, and the fortified borough with only two entrance doors is still extant.
What to see
- The Italic Temple a Samnite Sanctuary, located in Sant'Angelo, at m 1150 above sea level.
- Natural Reserve of Montedimezzo.
- The Castle: built between 10th and 11th century A.D.; actually it is a fortified borough.
- The church of San Nicola, the ancient parish church inside the fortified borough.
Events and Festivities
- San Nicola, 6 December.