Sesto Campano, Province of Isernia, Molise
Actually consisting of two main centers, Sesto Campano itself and Roccapipirozzi, the municipality lies on the borders of the Campania region, to which it is connected by historical and social factors. The fertility of the plain and the abundance of waters favor intensive agriculture, orchards and maize. The construction of the Presenzano dam altered the morphology of the territory, and the ancient sulfur spring, greatly renowned in antiquity, is by now gone.
- Altitude: 325 m a.s.l
- Population: about 2300 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86078
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: Cuore Immacolato di Maria
- Frazioni & Localities: Campopino, Roccapipirozzi, Selvotta, Cava, Masserie di Santo, Pontenuovo.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The Samnites had a citadel in Sesto Alto as a garrison to defend the road to Campania, and this key position was also important under the Romans. Under the Lombard rule Sesto Campano was one of the 34 Counties in the Dukedom of Benevento. In the 14th century it was under Andrea and Nicola Rampini from Isernia, who were followed by the Spanish family della Ratta and in 1465 by Diomede Carafa. Then the Spinola family took over the place, and kept its lordship until 1806.
Events and Festivities
- Patron's Feast on the last Sunday in June.
What to see
- The castle, situated in the center of the town, dominating the whole plain of Venafro.
- The borough of Roccapipirozzi on the border between Molise, Lazio and Campania, with a beautiful tower with merlons dominating the whole valley.
- In Roccapipirozzi, the medieval church of Santa Maria di Loreto, hosting a precious fresco of the 15th century, and rising on a crypt of the 7th century AD.
- On Monte San Nazzaro remains of an ancient abbey.