San Pietro Avellana, Province of Isernia, Molise
- Altitude: 960 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 490 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86088
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Amico, Saints Peter and Paul, celebrated on 29 June Pietro e Paolo
- Frazioni & Localities: Alvani, Cerri, Masserie di Cristo, Scalo Ferroviario.
The town was a Benedictine fiefdom from 1027 to 1785, and religion was a really great inlfuence in the character of the population. The economy was flourishing for centuries under the transhumance system, since the area was both a transit post and a place of summer pastures. With the crisis of the pastoral economy, a massive emigration began especially to the States, with main destination Pittsburgh.
Genealogy & Links
What to see
- The church of Sant'Amico with 13th-century statues rises on the highest point of the town, where once the fortress was. Inside there is under the altar the original tomb of the Saint, a benedictine monk. In 1623 his remains were however moved to a stone ark.
- The Parish Church of SS. Pietro e Paolo
- Municipality Museum.
Events and Festivities
- August: Emigrants' Festival
- August: week of "Museo della civiltà contadina".