Macchiagodena, Province of Isernia, Molise
The municipality lies about 22 kms east of Isernia, on the border with the province of Campobasso, and enjoys a wonderful view of the Matese mountains.
- Altitude: 864 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1800 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86096
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola di Bari, 3rd Sunday in May
- Frazioni & Localities: Caporio, Incoronata, Camposaccone, Centomani, Collesorbo, Fosso San Biase, Gaudovito, Gauta, Santa Iusta Pisano, Santa Iusta, San Matteo, Santa Maria in Pantano, Santo Ianni, Santo Ianni Marinelli, Terriaca.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The present name appeared already in documents of the 9th century A.D. (year 964) as "Maccia de Godina". It was a garrison post between the lombard countdoms of Isernia and Boiano, and later on a sighting post along the Pescasseroli-Candela tratturo (tratturo= shepherds' track). A great number of feudal lords came one after the other, among them the most important in the place were the Pandoni and Mormile.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta, with a fine statue made by Francesco Saverio Citarelli from Naples, and a precious processional cross.
- The medieval castle, today there are only the basements of the old walls and two towers.
- A very peculiar tradition, still maintained in the population, is the "rapimento", that is the kidnapping of the future bride some time before the wedding is celebrated.
- A local dance called "tuzzaculo".
Events and Festivities
- On 17 may, on the occasion of the patron saint, a fine, big trade fair is held.