Macchia d'Isernia, Province of Isernia, Molise
The municipality lies about 6 kms southwest of Isernia on the Carpino stream, which then joins the Sordo and both flow into the Cavaliere river, a tributary of the Volturno, and enjoys a beautiful view on the Mainarde and the Vandra forest to the northwest.
- Altitude: 360 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86070
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Demonym: macchiaroli
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola di Bari, celebrated on May 9.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Until the 17th century it was known as Macchia Saracena. In 1269 the lord of the place was Amerigo De Sus, then in the first half of the 14th century Aldemario di Scalera. In the 16th century it was under Guglielmo de Croy and the last owners were the D'Alena.
Events and Festivities
- September: The festival (sagra) of "vino pentro".
What to see
- The Renaissance Palace that occupies the ancient medieval fortress Castello D'Alena.