Longano, Province of Isernia, Molise
The small center goes back probably to the early medieval period, as shown by some ancient walls, called "Mura Saracene", inside the urban structure.
- Altitude: 700 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 680 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86090
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Antonio, celebrated on June 13
- Frazioni & Localities: Trignete.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The first historical mention is however in 1269 when it was given by the Anjous as fiefdom to Bertrando Bucca. Later on, in the early 14th century, Longano passed to the Capuani family, who were followed by the Gaetani, Evoli, Ruffo and Spinelli families. In the 17th century it was under the Vigliena, and the last feudal lords were the De Filippis-Delfico families.
Events and Festivities
- Last week in July: Feast of the Emigrant
- June 13: Sant'Antonio.
What to see
- Ruins of the Medieval Castle.
- The church of San Bartolomeo Apostolo, restored many times along the centuries.