Chiauci, Province of Isernia, Molise
It is located near the Trigno river, which forms a very beautiful waterfall in the area called Foce.
- Altitude: 879 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 220 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86090
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Giorgio, celebrated on April 23.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The name was maybe Chiavicia originally, then changed to Terra Clavicorum, and finally Castellum Clavica. There is also the opinion that it is to be identified with the ancient Clavis (meaning "key" in Latin), that is to say the key to the Samnium Pentrum, bordering the Samnium under the Saracens and the Lombard countdom of Trivento. Another etymology derives the name Chiauci from the latin claudo meaning "to close", and explained by the presence of a huge, broken rock creating the waterfalls on the Trigno River.
What to see
- The church of San Giovanni Apostolo 16th century, with a fine Baroque altar
- The Gambadoro Palace
- The beatiful surrounding forests, ideal for picking mushrooms or angling in the clear waters of the Trigno.
Events and Festivities
- Sant'Antonio: June 13
- La Ruva: August 18
- Sant'Onofrio: June 11.