Cerro al Volturno, Province of Isernia, Molise
- Altitude: 572 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1200 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86090
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Emidio, 4th Sunday in August
- Frazioni & Localities: Case, Cerreta, Cupone, Foci, Foresta, Mancini, Petrara, Piano d'Ischia, Rione Rossi, San Giovanni, San Vittorino, Santilli, Valloni.
The most flourishing period was the 15th century under the Pandone family, lords of the whole area between Venafro e Boiano, and therefore in control of the communications between the North and South of Italy at the time of the late Muslim invasions. The final defeat of the Muslims in the latter part of the 15th century marked also the end of the power of the family.
For centuries the economy of the area was based on agriculture and the raising of sheep and goats, accompanied by flourishing crafts and trade. The general crisis of the pastoral economy also gave way to widespread poverty and emigration.
What to see
- The Castle, originally a Lombard fortress, then transformed into a huge castle, with four giant square towers connected through mighty walls, dominating the whole valley and defending the Abbey of San Vincenzo.
- The Gambadoro palace.