Castelpetroso, Province of Isernia, Molise
The small centre rises in a strategic position, on a hill exactly on the border between Isernia and Bojano.
- Altitude: 872 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86090
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: Madonna dell'Addolorata.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The area was inhabited well before the conquest of the Lombards, who were the first to build a settlement. Like Castelmauro, the borough was surrounded by high, mighty walls where only three gates opened. In 1860, part of Garibaldi's army during retreat had to fight against the population of the area in order to reach Bojano.
Events and Festivities
- Feast of the Madonna Addolorata: March 22 and last Sunday of September.
What to see
- Sanctuary of the Vergine Addolorata. In Neo-gothic style, project by architect Gualandi, was built between 1890 and 1905. Inside paintings by the Molisan artist Amedeo Trivisonno.