Castel del Giudice, Province of Isernia, Molise
In a picturesque position around a rock, surrounded by woods, the settlement is very ancient.
- Altitude: 800 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 300 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86080
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0865
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola, celebrated on 1st Sunday in July.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
It was the birthplace of Iacopo Caldora, a famous condottiere of the 15th century. Guglielmo Borrello was its first feudal lord, followed by the Corrado of Antiochia. In the 15th century its lords were the Caldora and Evoli family, followed by the D'Alessandro. After the Second World War the place was heavily bombed and almost completely rebuilt.
Events and Festivities
- 3 September: feast of "Madonna in Saletto"
- 6 December: feast of "Pagnotte di San Nicola".
What to see
- The church of San Nicola, rebuilt after the bombing of the Second World War.