Trivento, Province of Campobasso, Molise
- Altitude: 600 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 4600 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86024
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Nazario on 28 July
- Frazioni & Localities: Colle Florio, Fonte Del Cerro, Macchiarelli, Marasa, Masserie Griguoli, Masserie Mastroiacovo, Montagna, Monte Piano, Morgia Campanaro, Penna, Piscinelli, Pontoni, Querciapiana, Rio, San Leonardo, Santaniello, Sant'Antonio, Tre Valloni, Uomomorto, Vivara.
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
Under the Normans the fiefdom of Trivento belonged to the COunts of Molise until 1268, then Charles I Anjou gave it to Ansaldo de Lavanderia, who was followed by Amerigo De Sus. Other feudal lords followed, among them the D'Evoli and Caldora family, to finish with the Caracciolo.
History - Modern Times
What to see
- The Palazzo Colaneri near the cathedral, a typical Renaissance mansion.
- The Cathedral of SS. Nazario, Celso and Vittore, with a baptismal fountain of the 4th century AD and a crypt to San Casto Martyr. The Christian church was built, as shown by re-used Roman stones and column capitals, on a pagan altar possibly dedicated to goddess Diana. Then in early Christian times a crypt was built on the spot in honor of San Casto, the first bishop of Trivento who started to convert to Christianity the local Samnite populations. Most of the architecture is typical of the Romanesque
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.