Torella del Sannio, Province of Campobasso, Molise
This little center is built on a hill around the castle and church, among mountains and valleys rich in waters and springs, all flowing into the Biferno or Trigno rivers. The economy of the population is mainly based on agriculture and the raising of sheep and pigs, as well as a lively honey-production.
- Altitude: 839 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 750 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86028
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Clemente on 15 October
- Frazioni & Localities: Colle Bove, Macchione, Santo Janni, Torre.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The name of the place appeared for the first time in historical records with the name "Turellam" in the catalogue of the Angevin barons; in the following centuries the fiefdom changed many lords, the last of them being the Francone family.
What to see
- The medieval castle, on the highest part of the village, a fortress in the shape of a diamond with round towers at the corners, was transformed in the 15th century into a Renaissance mansion with the addition of balconies.