Tavenna, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The place is 65 km from Campobasso and 75 from Isernia, and offers a remarkable diversity of landscapes, with oaks, olive trees from which an excellent olive oil is produced, almonds, walnuts, figs and thick bushes of brooms.
- Altitude: 552 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly, coastline
- Population: about 650 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0875
- Patron Saint: St. Giorgio, celebrated on 23 April.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The place was recorded in 1608 as Castel Tavenna, and in 1656 as Castel di Tabenna. The Aragonese lords in the 14th century introduced to populate the area and farm the lands a group of Slavic settlers, as happened in many other places in Molise.
There are many traditions still maintained among the population, as the making of bitter liquors and other healthy beverages according to local recipes, and the tombolo lacework.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli, 1770.