San Polo Matese, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The picturesque little town rises on a rock all around an ancient tower. Once known in Molise as a place of origin of witches, it is still renowned all over central Italy for its "zampognari" (bagpipe players) who appear in the Christmastime along the streets of many Italian cities.
- Altitude: 730 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola di Bari on 6 Deceber
- Frazioni & Localities: Fonteiaova, Sorbo, San Michele.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- Ruins of the medieval castle.
- The Parish Church of San Pietro in Vincoli (13th century), almost completely remade in the following centuries, with a fine baptismal monument, and wooden statue of Virgin with Child dated 1755, a masterpiece by Paolantonio Di Zinno.
- In the house of the Rogati family, an artistic crib by Spanish artist Juan Mari Oliva, with figurines by Antonio Mazzeo.
Events and Festivities
- The living crib on 26 - 27 December along the alleys of the medieval borough.