San Massimo, Province of Campobasso, Molise
In the heart of the Matese mountains, just below the summit of Monte Miletto (2050 m.) and the plateau of Campitello (m. 1450) one of the southernmost skiing resorts in Italy, San Massimo rises all around a massive fortress.
- Altitude: 696 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86027
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Frazioni & Localities: Campitello, Vicende, Canonica, Cerreto Sant'Angelo, Grondari, San Felice.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The name, first recorded in a document of 1113, most probably comes from an ancient church to San Massimo, the first bishop of Nola in the 3rd century AD. Among the many feudal Lords that ruled over the settlement there were the Gaetani, De Gennaro and Morra. The two terrible earthquakes in 1456 and 1805 completely destroyed the little town.
What to see
- Ruins of the Benedictine Abbey of San Nicola del Monte Matese.
- The Parish Church of San Salvatore, rebuilt in 1805.
- The church of San Rocco (16th century)
- The church of Santa Maria delle Fratte (14th century)
- The church of San Michele Arcangelo, dated 1656, rebuilt in 1745 and 1805.