San Martino in Pensilis, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The Romans established a settlement in the area, as shown by ruins of a Roman farmhouse of the 3rd century BC in the hamlet called Mattonelle, about 4 miles away from the present town.
- Altitude: 280 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly, coastline
- Population: about 4800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86046
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0875
- Patron Saint: St. Leo on 2 May.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
After the fall of the Roman Empire and the invasion of the Lombards the village was included in the Duchy of Benevento, then when the Normans took over, in the 11th century AD, it passed to the County of Loritello. In th 15th century, and until 1806, the year the feudal system was abolished, the fiefdom belonged to the Di Capua family.
Events and Festivities
- Patronal feast of Saint Leo confessor on 2 May with a chariot race on April 30th.
What to see
- The Renaissance Palace
- The church of San Pietro Apostolo restored in 18th century.