Ripalimosani, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The little town rises in a hilly area in central Molise, and has a specially fascinating historical center, with its houses built in tufa rock, the castle, the many churches, the monastery of San Pietro Celestino.
- Altitude: 634 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 3100 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86025
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Michele, celebrated on 29 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Fonte, Iontapede, Pesco Farese.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The name appears in the "Pergamena montaganese" of 1039, when the settlement was a "castrum" that is a fortified borough, with the name of Ripa. The tradition, for which there is scanty historical evidence, tells that the inhabitants of a Samnite settlement that was on the site of the present town, known as Tifernum, after the destruction of their village by Roman consul Fabio Massimo, took refuge in the nearby Limosano, and that later, when they proceeded to rebuild their village, added to the name of Ripa that of Limosani (Latin genitive, meaning "of Limosano") as a sign of gratitude.
Events and Festivities
- 11 and 12 august, Festivity of the Madonna della Neve on in the area called "alle Quercigliole", about 2 km from the center, where also a palio called "delle Quercigliole" is held.