Ripabottoni, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The center is located near the lake of Guardialfiera, and was seriously hit by the Molise Earthquake in 2002. The etymology of its strange name is from the early medieva "Ripa gotorum" (land of the Goths).
- Altitude: 643 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 500 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Rocco, celebrated on 16 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Cerro.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
A legend says it was founded by the Goths, who invaded the Roman Empire in the 5th century AD. In 1181 the name appeared in records as "Ripabrunaldo", and under the Norman occupation it was a fiefdom of Giuliano from Castropignano. In the 17th century it was a fiefdom of the Carafa, followed by the Francone family, and finally of Ambrogio Caracciolo.
What to see
- The church of Assunta. Restored during the 18th century, with 43 painting by Paolo Gamba, the most important artist of Molise.
- The church of San Michele, built in 1733.