Portocannone, Province of Campobasso, Molise
In the 16th century a Slavic community led by Giorgio Castriota Skanderberg was invited to populate the area, and still today there are traces in the tradition and language of this immigration.
- Altitude: 158 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly, coastline
- Population: about 2500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86045
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0875
- Patron Saint: Madonna of Costantinopoli on Pentecost.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
First recorded inthe 11th century AD with the name of "Portocandesium", changed by 1320 into "Porto Canduni", this little town was heavily hit by the 1456 earthquake, that destroyed most of the houses killing half the population.
What to see
- The church of SS. Pietro e Paolo, 16th century.