Pietracupa, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The little town, with its ancient, medieval center, rises on a rocky spur, an enormous limestone formation called "Morgia", in a very picturesque position. It is a summer holiday and hiking area.
- Altitude: 695 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 200 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Gregorio Papa on 10 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Pietracupa, Piana di Sciarra.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The fiefdom belonged in 1269 to Ugo di Brianzio, then passed in the 14th century to the D'Alemagna, then to the Carafa, followed by the Gaetani and the Della Marra, until thelast feudal lords, the Francone family.
Events and Festivities
- A very impressive tradition, the "nducciata", is repeated on Christmas Eve, when the people of the village lit torches to "warm up Jesus".
What to see
- The church of Santissimo Sacramento.