Palata, Province of Campobasso, Molise
In the past there was in the place a community of Croats, who had immigrated during the 16th century, who were then gradually assimilated by the Italian population.
- Altitude: 527 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86037
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0875
- Patron Saint: St. Rocco on 16 August.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Roberto della Rocca was the first feudal lord, then in 1269 the fiefdom passed to Francesco della Posta, while the last lord was Azor Pallavicino Zapata, Duke of Villahermosa, when in 1807 feudalism was abolished.
Events and Festivities
- 13 June: a very beautiful festival is held for St. Anthony from Padua, with a parade of colorfully decorated waggons drawn by oxen, which proceed along the streets of the village, probably a tradition inherited from the Slavic immigrants that came to Palata in the early 16th century.
What to see
- The church of Santa Giusta located a few kilometers from the town where since Norman times there was a settlement, completely abandoned in the 16th century.