Oratino, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Oratino is among the "Borghi più belli d'Italia", thanks to its castle and fine monuments. It is located about 7 km northwest of Campobasso along the Biferno river.
- Altitude: 795 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Bonifacio on 14 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Cerro.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Established in Lombard times, its first recorded feudal lord was fu Eustachio D'Ardicourt in 1268. When the Anjou took possession of Southern Italy, in 1326 king Robert gave the fiefdom to his wife Sancia. Then other families followed: the D'Evoli, Gambatesa, Sforza, Di Capua.
Events and Festivities
- A very special tradition is repeated on the night of December 24, when the "Faglia", a giant column made of canes, 7 feet wide and 40 feet high, is lit in the square before the parish church.
What to see
- Located in "La Rocca" a square Tower dating back to the 10th century
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta
- The church of Santa Maria del Loreto with inside frescoes by local painters Ciriaco and Stanislao Brunetti.