Montefalcone nel Sannio, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The village rises on a crest inside a mountain group whose highest summits are Monte La Rocchetta (940 mt) and Monte Mauro (1043 mt).
- Altitude: 659 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86033
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Antonio di Padova on 13 June.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
On top of the nearby mountain remains of walls of Italic times (3rd century BC) suggested that this was the ancient Maronea, where a colony from Cartage had settled, who were attacked by the Roman consul Marcellus and defeated. In the Middle Ages the place was under the Cantelmo family, then in the 15th century passed to the Zurlo and afterwards to the Gambatesa.
What to see
- The parish church, which rises on a top of flight of steps, with a remarkable Gothic portal and 17th century belltower.
- The Palazzo Ducale.
- The Round Tower, the only remain of the ancient medieval Castle.
- Remains of giant pre-Roman walls on Monte Rocchetta.