Montecilfone, Province of Campobasso, Molise
On the top of a hill surrounded by olive trees, Montecilfone enjoys a fine view on the Biferno Valley, from the Punta Penna lighthouse southwards to the Gargano and northwards to the Majella mountain.
- Altitude: 405 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly, along the coastline
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Giorgio on 23 April
- Frazioni & Localities: Coruntoli, Fonte Bianca, Macchie, Valle delle Noci, Calvario, Difesa Montingolfo (Monte in Golfo), Stafiglione, Scorticata, Crocetta, Fontesecca, Croi Croccoli, Spartille, Padule, Mauro.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
In 1461 the town was founded by an Albanese Cristian group, under the leadership of Giorgio Castriota Skanderberg, seeking refuge after the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire (1456) and the advance of the Muslim armies. The population still speaks an Albanese dialect.
What to see
- The church of San Giorgio.