Lucito, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Lucito is located along the main road from the junction on the Bifernina state road, all around the Capecelatro palace. Its economy was historically based on vineyards and olive groves, the fishing of trout and eels in the waters of thr Biferno, and wool weaving of renowned carpets. The overseas migratory wave of the 19th and 20th century caused a severe demographic impoverishment of the area.
- Altitude: 460 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 660 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 86030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola on May 12
- Frazioni & Localities: Giardini.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
No sure information exists before 1266 when it was mentioned as a possession of Bernardo from Lucito, then it belonged for a long time to the same Castelbottaccio lords, and was acquired in 1655 by the Capecelatro family, who stayed in power until 1806, when the feudal system was abolished. Alfonso Capecelatro was archbishop of Capua and cardinal, and denied his candidature as Pope. In 1807 Lucito was included in the District of Isernia and in 1811 to that of Civitacampomarano.
What to see
- The Marquis Palace
- The church of San Nicola di Bari, with inside a 17th century canvas by Fabrizio Santafede.