Guardialfiera, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The present village was completely rebuilt after a ruinous earthquake in 1688. Nowadays Guardialfiera is an important center for the production of extra virgin olive oil. In its territory the Liscione dam was built in the 1960's forming what is known as the Guardialfiera Lake.
- Altitude: 285 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Gaudenzio, celebrated on 1st June.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
In the Middle Ages it belonged to the Lombard dukedom of Benevento, and the Lombard Adalfieri family gave their name to the center.
In the late Middle Ages it was part of the Montagano County, then became a fiefdom of the Di Capua, and later of the Lemaitre family, who were the last feudal lords when the feudal system was suppressed in 1806.
What to see
- The Monastery of Sant'Onofrio, 16th century, with a giant polyptich painting in the choir.
- The church of the Assunta, in the gothic style, with the relics of the Patron Saint Gaudenzio preserved in its crypt.