Gildone, Province of Campobasso, Molise
The area was inhabited since very ancient times, as shown by a Samnite necropolis in the area called Morgia.
- Altitude: 608 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 900 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Maria Grazie, celebrated on 5 August
- Frazioni & Localities: San Martino, Villaggio San Sebastiano.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Gildone had a great importance in the Middle Ages thanks to its powerful lords, Rao Falco Graone, cardinal Orsini, the Sanfromondo family and pope Benedict XII who came here to consecrate the churches of San Sabino and Sant'Antonio Abate.
What to see
- The Parish Church of San Sabino, of very ancient origin, restored in 1690.
- The church of Sant'Antonio Abate, with a fine tryptich.