Colle d'Anchise, Province of Campobasso, Molise
In a panoramic position overlooking the Matese massif and the Biferno valley, it takes its name from a legend according to which Anchises, a Trojan warrior escaping after the destruction of Troy by the Greeks, stopped here with his son Aeneas.
- Altitude: 649 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 850 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Sisto on 6 august
- Frazioni & Localities: Colle Cucchiarone, Colle Marcello, Coscia del Ponte, Costa Casale, Fonte dei Ceci, Fonte La Vite, Macchia Santa Maria, Reine, San Crescenzo, Vignole.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The place is mentioned in 1404 as part of a fiefdom given by the King of Naples to Filippo Santangelo. Subsequently other feudal lords were the Tomacelli and Moccia families, and the Dukes of Costanzo and Filomarino. There are still beautiful traditions, such as those of celebrating San Nicola (31 May) and Santa Margherita (20 July) in the small countryside chapels, stopping then in the country for picnics, or the bonfires for St. Anthony on 13 June.
What to see
- The Neo-classical Santa Maria degli Angeli, with frescos and sculptures by Amedeo Trivisonno from Campobasso.
- The Remains of the Palazzo Ducale.