Civitacampomarano, Province of Campobasso, Molise
On the left side of the Biferno river, it was the hometown of Vincenzo Cuoco (1770-1822), a famous historian, and of Risorgimento patriot Gabriele Pepe (1779-1848).
- Altitude: 520 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Liberatore, celebrated on May 13.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
An ancient fortress existed in the area still before the year 1000 AD, where the Anjou built later their castle. the first feudal lord in the records was Paolo Marchisio, then in the 13th century Charles of Anjou gave the fiefdom to the princes of Taranto, who were succeeded in 1328 by Nicola from Boiano, and stilllater by the di Sangro, and the Mirelli.
What to see
- The Castle, 14th century, with two typical round towers.
- The church of Santa Maria, with a fine altar in carved, gilted wood.