Castropignano, Province of Campobasso, Molise
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Patron Saint: St. Rocco, celebrated on August 16
- Frazioni & Localities: Roccaspromonte.
In the Middle Ages the town was included in the County of Molise, then in 1345 the Norman D'Evoli family obtained the fiefdom, and kept it until the abolition of feudalism. The economy, based for centuries on agriculture and the movement of shepherds to Apulia along the nearby tratturo, fell into a deep crisis in the late 19th century, and the consequent emigration left the countryside abandoned.
What to see
- Evoli Castle, built by the Lombards on the ruins of a previous ROman building, was enlarged by the Normans.
- The church of San Salvatore, 12th century, and its interesting Romanic portal.
- The Ruins of the medieval church of San Nicola.
Genealogy & Links
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.