Castellino del Biferno, Province of Campobasso, Molise
This picturesque little town, with the fine portals in stone carved by its artisans, rises on a tuff rock surrounded by olive trees, amid the valleys of the Rio Maio and Biferno river.
- Territory: hills
- Altitude: 453 m. a.s.l.
- Population: about 700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Frazioni & Localities: Castellino Nuovo.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The name was in 1011 "Castrum Edolini", then in 1640 appears as "Castellino del Lino" to finally change into Castellino. With the unity of Italy in 1861 the words "del Biferno" were added to distinguish it from other "Castellino" in Italy. The first documents mention the place in the Norman period (11th century) as part of the Dukedom of Montagano. The fiefdom was under a great number of lords in the course of the centuries, among them the De Cusenza, Luparia, D'Evoli and Di Capua.
What to see
- The Parish Church of San Pietro in Vinculis, hosting inside 13 statues of great beauty.
- The Chapel of the Beata Vergine delle Grazie, dating back to the 14th century, and a center of deep worship for the whole population.